Lake Land College Services and Programs Provided for Veterans, Active Duty Military Personnel and Families
Lake Land College appreciates the service of our active-duty and veteran students and seeks to provide the services needed to support these students with their initial transition to college and throughout their enrollment. Following is a summary of services currently available.
- Contact information for the coordinator of veterans services:
Counselor/Coordinator of Student Accommodations
Student Center Building
Please contact Andy for information regarding military educational benefits, military/other credit evaluation, and the student veterans' organization.
Financial Aid & Veteran Services Advisor
Please contact Danielle for information regarding educational accommodations, support related to PTSD and TBI, referral to other college and community resources, and the student veterans' organization.
- Lake Land College identifies veterans and active duty military personnel through our admissions application and financial aid process.
- During the 2012-2013 year, Lake Land College served approximately 280 veterans and active duty personnel.
- Special services are available to veterans, active duty personnel and their families through the offices of Admissions and Records, Financial Aid and Veterans Services and Counseling Services. Individuals interested in inquiring about services available should contact Andy Gaines or Danielle Downs as indicated above.
- The Collegiate Veterans Alliance (CVA) is an organization for student military veterans and supporters. CVA facilitates education and support among veterans and helps educate the college community about veterans. Andy Gaines serves as an Advisor. Anyone interested in joining or learning more about the organization, may contact Danielle as indicated above.
- Lake Land College Board Policy 07.39 provides that students called to active duty during the semester may request to be withdrawn from the class and receive a 100% refund, try to complete the courses in progress, or request incomplete grades. The most appropriate action will depend on the time during which the student is called to duty. Students called to duty should contact their instructors and the Office of the Dean of Admissions Services at 217/234-5378.
- Lake Land College accepts military credit according to the ACE Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services and accepts DANTES credits. Veterans may earn 4 hours of college credit for completing basic training by submitting a DD214 with honorable discharge or other proof of completion of basic training. Submission of an AARTS transcript will help expedite the evaluation process.
- Professional development training related to veterans and active duty personnel is available to Lake Land College staff. Interested staff should contact Danielle Downs, Financial Aid & Veteran Services Advisor at 217-234-5255.
- Student veterans, active duty military personnel and family members may take advantage of all of the support services available to other Lake Land College students. Those services include, but are not limited to: Academic Advising, Career Services, Child Care, Counseling, Financial Aid, Learning Assistance Center/Tutoring, Library, Student Accommodations, and TRIO Student Support Services.
- Student veterans, active duty personnel and family members may also take advantage of social events and other activities provided to other Lake Land College students through Student Life. Descriptions of the student life opportunities available and contact information are available on the Lake Land College website at www.lakelandcollege.edu/ss/sl/index.cfm .
We appreciate the suggestions of student veterans, active duty personnel and family members in making our college more veteran-friendly. Please send your suggestions to Andy Gaines or Danielle Downs as indicated above.
This information is provide in accordance with the Higher Education Veterans Services Act (PA 96-0133)