Lake Land College offers a variety of community courses this September
August 22, 2014
The Lake Land College office of Community and Professional Programs will offer several community courses throughout the month of September. Find a new hobby, brush up on a skill and have some fun with Lake Land College!
The course details and information are as follows
• Learn the basics of beading. Beading: Earrings & Bracelet will meet Monday, Sept. 8 from 1-3p.m. at the Life Span Center with instructor Shirley Splittstoesser. Register in CE-ARTS180-35120. Make two sets of bracelets and two sets of matching earrings. These make great gifts. An assortment of beads and findings are provided for stretch bracelets with faux clasps and clip or pierced earrings. Beading tools will be available for use, but you may bring your own. The cost is $25.
• Crochet a head warmer that will adjust to fit any size head. Adjustable Head Warmer will meet Tuesday, Sept. 23 from 9 a.m. until noon at the Life Span Center with instructor Shirley Splittstoesser. Register in CE-ARTS226-35131. Crocheting experience is helpful, but not required as you will learn this step-by-step. Bring a skein of yarn, H crochet hook and scissors. The cost is $25.
• Make a lovely crocheted necklace and matching bracelet with ladder yarn. Crochet Jewelry will meet Tuesday, Sept. 23 from 1-3 p.m. at the Life Span Center with instructor Shirley Splittstoesser. Register in CE-ARTS169-35118. The adjustable six-strand necklace and four-strand bracelet look as though they are beaded. These make adorable gifts. You will learn to make these step-by-step, so crocheting experience is not necessary. The instructor provides several colors of ladder yarn. Bring an H, I, or J crochet hook and scissors. The cost is $25.
• Enjoy beer? Want to make your own? This class is perfect for the beginning home brewer. Home Brewing 101, with instructor Glen Forneris, will meet Wednesdays, Sept. 10, 17, 24, and Oct. 1 from 6 - 7 p.m. In addition class will meet Oct. 8, 6 - 9 p.m., which is a 3 hour home brewing demonstration, teaching the process. The last class will meet on Oct. 29 from 6-7 p.m. to try the final product. Register in CNC-015-35192. Students must be 21 years of age or older. The cost is $60.
• Photographer Joe Ethridge teaches you about lighting, exposure, focusing, metering, white balance, image quality, composition, macro, flash photography and how to get the most from your digital camera. Learn the importance of aperture settings, depth of field shutter speeds, ISO, high dynamic range, HDR, raw, JPEG, PSAM and more. All About Digital Photography meets Tuesdays from Sept. 2 – Oct. 7 from 6:30 – 9:30 p.m. at Lake Land College in Neal Hall, room 113. Register in CNC-019-16209. The class will also meet Thursdays from Sept. 4 – Oct. 9 from 6:30 – 9:30 p.m. at the Lake Land College Kluthe Center in Effingham. Register in CNC-019-16210. The cost is $110.
• For beginners to the experienced! Learn the fundamentals of oil and acrylic painting with instructor Vera Keplar. Oil/Acrylic Painting will meet Mondays and Wednesdays, Sept. 15 – Oct. 15 from 1:15 – 2:45 p.m. at the Lake Land College Kluthe Center in Effingham. Register in CNC-014-35163. If you don't already have supplies, the instructor will provide a materials list the first day of class. The cost is $85.
For more information or for an enrollment form, contact the Office of Community and Professional Programs at 217-234-5467. To register online using a VISA/MC/Discover, go to www.lakeland.cc.il.us/learn. Choose the course number desired. To register by phone for courses which begin with CE, call Admissions and Records at 217-234-5434.You will be sent a statement for payment. The drop date for a refund is five business days prior to the start of the class.