Lake Land College offers a variety of community courses this March
February 17, 2014
The Lake Land College office of Community and Professional Programs will offer several community courses throughout the month of March. Find a new hobby, brush up on a skill and have some fun with Lake Land College!
The course details and information are as follows:
• No crocheting experience is necessary to crochet a kitchen towel top to hang on the stove handle and a nylon net pot scrubbie. CE-HOME146-31888 will meet with Shirley Splittstoesser on Wed., March 12, from 1 – 3 p.m. at the Coles County LifeSpan Center on Loxa Road. Several colors of yarn, towel and pre-cut nylon net and directions will be provided. Bring a “J” or “K” crochet hook and scissors with you. The cost is $25.
• Would you like to give your family a gift they will cherish forever? Let Shirley Splittstoesser teach you the skills you need for writing your memoirs and how to easily self-publish your work. CE-WRIT108-31887 will meet Wed., March 12 from 9 a.m. until noon at the LifeSpan Center on Loxa Road. Please bring a pack of index cards with you. The cost is $20. An optional booklet, Memoir Writing, is available for $5.
• Bump your rumba up a notch with some great new moves in Rumba Next Level with Cheryl and Scott Sweet. CE-RECR193-31755 will meet Sundays, March 16 – April 6 from 2:10 – 3 p.m. in the West Building’s atrium on the Lake Land College campus. The cost is $36. Another offing of Rumba Next Level will be in Effingham. The course number is CE-RECR193-31756 and it will meet on Sundays from March 16- April 6 from 5:10 - 6 p.m.
• Glide across the floor like Fred and Ginger when the Sweets teach the timeless classic, the waltz. The waltz is a wonderful piece of dance history. Cheryl and Scott Sweet will offer two locations for your convenience so you won’t miss out on learning this wonderful dance. CE-RECR178-31753 will meet Sundays, March 16 – April 6 from 1:10 – 2 p.m. in the West Building’s atrium on the Lake Land College campus. The cost is $36. CE-RECR178-31754 will meet Sundays, March 16 – April 6 from 4:10 – 5 p.m. in Effingham. The cost is $36.
• In Acting Fundamentals 2, you will develop skills in relaxation and concentration, discover how to use your body and voice as performing instruments and acquire basic theater terminology. You’ll read and perform monologues and short scenes. CNC-026-32138 will meet with instructor Earl Halbe on Wednesdays from March 19 – May 7 on campus in the Luther Student Center, room 101. The cost is $70.
• Lisa Claypool has been making and decorating cakes for seven years and will share her experience with you in Decorating: Fondant & Flowers. You will learn the basics of working with fondant and how to make flowers in this hands-on class. CNC-015-32209 will meet Tuesdays, March 18 – April 29 from 5:30 – 7:30 p.m. in Neal Hall, room 105. The cost is $96.
• Are you struggling with your young child’s behavior? Learn how to feel more confident and empowered as a parent during seven difficult developmental childhood stages including: unexplained crying, night waking, separation anxiety, explorations, choosey eating, toilet teaching, and negativity. Make parenting less stressful and more enjoyable by understanding Your Young Child. CNC-018-32104 will meet with instructor Cheri Burcham, from 6 – 8:30 p.m. on Wednesdays from March 19 – April 2 in Neal Hall, room 114. The cost is $10.
• “Pick Up Your Pen” with Shirley Splittstoesser and learn techniques to bring that story that’s running through your head to life on paper! Topics include capturing your reader, keeping your reader turning the pages and leaving your reader recommending your story to a friend. Bring writing paper or your laptop and three books you enjoy reading. CE-WRIT112-31886 will meet Tues. March 25 from 9 a.m. until noon at the Coles County LifeSpan Center on Loxa Road. The cost is $20.
• Join Shirley Splittstoesser and learn how to make a lovely crocheted necklace and matching bracelet with ladder yarn. This lovely set looks as though it is beaded when finished. CE-ARTS169-31946 will meet Tues., March 25 from 1 – 3 p.m. at the Coles County LifeSpan Center on Loxa Road. A variety of colors of ladder yarns for you to choose from will be provided. Bring an “H”, “I” or “J” crochet hook and scissors. The cost is $25.
• Photographer Joe Ethridge will teach you about lighting, exposure, focusing, metering, white balance and much more in All About Digital Photography. The class will meet in two different locations for your convenience. CNC-019-32174 will meet on Tuesdays from March 25 – May 6 from 6:30 – 9:30 p.m. in Neal Hall, room 113. There will be no class on April 15. The cost is $110. The second offering will be CNC-019-32176 on Thursdays from March 27- May 8 from 6:30 – 9:30 p.m. at the Effingham Kluthe Center, room 104. There will be no classes April 17. The cost is $110.
• Learn the basics of solar electric systems! You will learn how photovoltaic (PV) systems work, diagram the four PV system types, define the solar window, make energy efficiency recommendations and understand the basics of PV site assessment. Join Jeffrey Oder for Basic Photovoltais. CNC-023-32102 will meet Sat., March 29 from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. in the West Building, room 119. The cost is $60.
• Join Nancy Selvidge on the tranquil twenty-two acre property of Coyote Cabins Retreat of Sullivan, for an all natural approach to health that rejuvenates the body. The evening will include a facial, a reflexology session and health consultations. A relaxing Pilates and yoga stretch option will be available after 8 p.m. CE-HLTH147-31891 will meet Monday, March 31 from 6 – 8 p.m. The cost of $65. View pictures at www.coyotecabins.com
• Trace your family history with the help of instructor Barbara George. Four genealogy classes online will be offered online:
1. Genealogy Basics includes topics on charts and forms and how to acquire information from popular genealogical and surname sites, search engine tips and much more. CNC-018-31988 will meet March 12 – April 4 for a cost of $45.
2. Specific Genealogical Info will help you find unusual and miscellaneous information with the use of new research tools. You will learn where to look in vital records: birth, adoption, marriage, death, census, tax and land records, maps, gazettes, atlases, city directories, county histories and various ethnic and religious groups. CNC-018-31989 will meet March 24 – April 23 for a cost of $45.
3. Genealogical Research Advanced will show you how to access and utilize ship passenger lists, records of immigration and naturalization, American migration trails, and homestead applications. Learn how to find mental patients prisoners, school students, teachers, female ancestors as well as records from CCC and WPA. CNC-018-32094 will meet March 31 – April 30 for a cost of $45.
4. World Genealogy will help you further the skills you used in the previous classes to do research on and offline in more than 52 countries. You will work one-on-one with the instructor to achieve your goals. CNC-018-32095 will meet April 1 – April 30 for a cost of $45.
For more information, or for an enrollment form, contact the Office of Community and Professional Programs at (217)-234-5219. To register online using a VISA/MC/Discover, go to www.lakeland.cc.il.us/learn choose the course number desired. To register by phone, call Admissions and Records at (217)-234-5434. You will be sent a statement for payment. The drop date for a refund is five business days prior to the start of the class.
Send this article to a friend