Lake Land College offers a variety of community courses this January
The Lake Land College office of Community and Professional Programs will offer several community courses throughout the month of January. Find a new hobby, brush up on a skill and have some fun!
The course details and information are as follows:
• Finally an agriculture club is forming for children, youth and adults with autism! This club is in honor of Temple Grandin’s challenge to help the autism population get involved in agriculture. Several learning projects will be conducted in the community involving agriculture. This first informational meeting will be held in Sullivan. Thereafter the club will meet monthly with club membership being $10 a month. CE-LERN181-32358 will meet with instructor Julia Boyd on Jan. 12 from 1 - 2 p.m. in Sullivan at Coyote Cabins Restaurant private dining room. The cost is $12 plus the cost of your meal, which will be discounted.
• Instructor Kevin Roberts will help you increase your self control, gain self-confidence, improve flexibility and develop respect for yourself and others in the Martial Arts Tae Kwon Do class. Ages 7 to 17 register in class section CE-SPRT106-32122, and ages 17 and above, register in class section CNC-017-32115. Class will meet Mondays and Thursdays, Jan. 13 – May 8 from 6 – 7:30 p.m. The cost is $125.80. Both classes meet in Mattoon at the Burgess Osborne Auditorium.
• Little Tigers Tae Kwon Do for ages 4 - 6, CE-SPRT143-32118, will meet with instructor Kevin Roberts Mondays and Thursdays, Jan. 13 – May 8 from 5 – 6 p.m. in Mattoon at Burgess Osborne Auditorium. The cost is $125.80
• Martial Arts Next Level students must have at least six months prior training and have a green belt or above to register in section CNC-020-32117, which is open to participants 17 and older. Those 17 and younger should register in class section CE-RECR202-32215. Class meets Tuesdays, Jan. 13 – May 12 from 6 - 7:30 p.m. in Mattoon at the Burgess Osborne Auditorium. The cost is $125.80.
• Learn the basics of cake decorating from Lisa Claypool, who has over seven years of experience baking and decorating cakes. CNC-015-32113 will meet Tuesdays, Jan. 14 - March 4 from 5:30 – 7:30 p.m. on the Lake Land campus in Neal Hall, room 105. The cost is $96.
• In Acting Fundamentals I students will develop skills in relaxation and concentration, discover their voices and bodies as performing instruments, and acquire basic theatre terminology. Students will read and perform monologues and short scenes. The instructor is Earl Halbe. Students from ages 12 to 17, register for class section CE-ARTS199-3211. Adults register for class section CNC-026-32105. Both classes with meet Jan. 15 – March 5 from 6:30 – 8 p.m. on the Lake Land campus in the Luther Student Center Theater. The cost is $70.
• Check out our ed2go internet classes at www.ed2go.com/lakelandcollege. You will find classes like: Intro to Google Analytics, Intro to Microsoft Excel 2010 plus more at a cost of $104.99 per class.
• Martial Arts- Karate with instructors William and David Shuler will help you increase your self control, gain self-confidence, improve flexibility and develop respect for your self and others. Section CE-SPRT106-32125 is open to students ages eight to 17 and CNC-017-32116 is open for those 17 and above. The classes will meet Mondays and Thursdays, Jan. 13 – May 12 from 6:30 – 7:30 p.m. Both classes meet at the Effingham Academy of Gymnastics. The cost is $102.80.
• Little Dragon for ages 5 - 7 is an introduction to karate. CE-SPRT103-32121 will meet with instructors William and David Shuler on Thursdays, Jan. 16 - May 8 from 5:30 – 6:30 p.m. at the Effingham Academy of Gymnastics. The cost is $102.80.
•You have mastered the basics in Night Club Two Step so now add some flashy moves to your dance in Night Club Two Step Next Level. Cheryl and Scott Sweet will show you some cool moves that will make you the envy of all your friends. CE-RECR191-31747 will meet Sundays, Jan. 19 – Feb. 9 from 2:10 – 3 p.m. on the Lake Land campus in the West Building atrium. The cost is $36. A second class, CE-RECR191-31748, will be offered in Effingham those same dates from 5:10 – 6 p.m. in Effingham at the EMA building. No partner is needed, but is suggested. The cost is $36.
• Triple Swing for Beginners is an energetic dance loaded with fun. The music will make you want to shake, rattle and roll while you learn the basics. This is a must-know dance for all social occasions! Join Cheryl and Scott Sweet in Mattoon Sundays, Jan. 19 – Feb. 9 from 1:10 – 2 p.m. for class CE-RECR195-31736, on the Lake Land campus in the West Building atrium. The cost is $36. A second class will be offered those same dates, CE-RECR195-31737 in Effingham from 4:10 – 5 p.m. at the EMA building. No partner is needed, but is suggested. The cost is $36.
• Nancy Selvidge will introduce nine essential oils that can be used through out daily life. She will provide tips on how to apply oils to skin and discover the best oils for your personal health. CE-HLTH153-31897, will meet Monday, Jan. 27 from 6 – 8 p.m. in Mattoon at the Selvidge Chiropractic Center. The cost is $30.
• Experienced Lincolnland Hospice staff will cover all aspects of being a volunteer for the terminally ill. Discover the physical, emotional, psychosocial and spiritual end-of-life care issues. Join this class in order to become a Lincolnland Hospice volunteer. This class is open to those18 and older. CE-ENRC108-31889 will meet Friday, Jan. 31 from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. in Charleston at the LifeSpan Center on Loxa Road. This training is free.
• Be prepared to have an awesome full body work out while dancing the time away to some great music! Instructor Dessie Boeser leads you in this high impact dance aerobic class. CNC-017-32895 meets Monday through Thursday, Jan. 13 – March 11, from 4 – 5 p.m. on the Lake Land campus in the Field House aerobics room. The cost $55 and there will be no class January 20.
For more information, or for an enrollment form, contact the Office of Community and Professional Programs, (217)-234-5219
To register online using a VISA/MC/Discover, go to www.lakelandcollege.edu/learn choose the course number desired. To register by phone, call Admissions and Records at (217)-234-5434. You will be sent a statement for payment. The drop date for a refund is five business days prior to the start of the class.
Send this article to a friend