Emotional Impairment Classroom Tips
- Encourage the student to contact the Counselor/Coordinator of Student Accommodations regularly
- Use positive reinforcement to encourage appropriate behavior
- Clearly and consistently state expectations of performance and behavior both in writing and orally
- Allow the student to tape record lectures and/or use a notetaker
- Emphasize enhancement of the student's self-control
- Allow test accommodations when needed.
Source: IL State Board of Education (1994). The Toolbox of Resources for Staff Development