When advising students for registration you may or may not be aware that the student has a disability. The following tips could benefit any student that you are advising, but may be particularly beneficial to a student who has a disability.
- Ask the student what type of schedule or class causes them the most difficulty.
- Encourage students to describe their perceived strengths and weaknesses.
- Avoid back-to-back classes or long classes (such as evening courses) for students who need time to process information or who have difficulty maintaining attention.
- Schedule a variety of required and elective courses each semester.
- Steer students toward classes that might have lower enrollment so that students can have more individual attention from instructors.
- If a student discloses a disability, refer the student to the Counselor/Coordinator of Student Accommodations to obtain information regarding academic support services.