Thank you for your interest in applying for an ambassador position for the 2015-2016 school year!
Complete and return the application and schedule an interview, preferably by August 29, 2015. Final deadline for submissions is 9 a.m. Tuesday, September 2, 2015.
Please review the series of tabs below to learn more about the Lake Land College Student Ambassadors. It is also helpful to review the application checklist that is provided in the Student Ambassador Links section of this site. When you are ready to apply, please make sure to carefully fill out all the tabs before submitting. It is important to note this site does not allow you to save the application and return to it later, so all submissions are final.
You must schedule an interview along with submitting your application. Personal interviews will be conducted Sept. 2-4 in the West Building Room 072. Schedule the interview by calling Lisa at (217) 234-5254 or stopping by Luther Student Center #028 (in the Admissions Wing) and signing up for a time.
If you have any questions or would like a printed copy of this application, please contact:
Hint: Utilize LLC’s Career Services for help with your application and essay, if needed. They are reviewed and graded beforehand. http://www.lakeland.cc.il.us/ss/cs/
Who are Lake Land College Student Ambassadors? Student Ambassadors are a group of Lake Land College students who are selected to serve as official college representatives at events such as college fairs and high school visits. In addition, Ambassadors conduct campus tours and assist with special functions sponsored by the college. Being a Student Ambassador is a challenging job, but it is a prestigious organization to join! You will meet new friends, gain leadership skills, and build your résumé at the same time!
Special Privileges and Activities
- Students who will be enrolled on campus at least half-time for both the fall and spring semesters during the year of application.
- Applicants must have a Lake Land College cumulative GPA of at least 2.50 as calculated by the college.
- Each student will receive official Lake Land College Student Ambassador apparel.
- Ambassadors get to take part in specific trainings, social activities and trips exclusively for the team members.
- Ambassadors that complete requirements will receive a $500 scholarship from Lake Land College for their year of service. The scholarship will be made in two payments: $250 for the fall semester and $250 for the spring semester
- An award will be presented at the end of the year to the ambassador who has shown outstanding efforts in promotion, recruitment, and service.
- Participate in extensive training sessions.
- Participate in mandatory functions, please see dates under the “Mandatory Dates and Submission” tab.
- Attend regularly scheduled weekly meeting on Wednesdays or as otherwise announced. Ambassador meetings should take precedence over other club meetings.
- Serve as an official representative of Lake Land College at career fairs, high school visits, and other events that involve student recruitment.
- Conduct campus tours.
- Assist with student registration during the fall and spring semesters.
- Participate in telephone and letter writing campaigns.
- Remain at least a half-time student during fall and spring semesters.
- Complete at least 10 credits of activities each semester.
Please use bullet points to list the following activities.
Presentation – to be completed during the interview
Being a Student Ambassador requires a lot of public speaking. Along with submitting your application and scheduling your interview, potential Student Ambassadors must prepare a short presentation to give to the interview committee. The presentation should be based off the following information. However, participants are allowed to be creative with their presentations so that their personality shines through! Make sure to practice before, this portion is important!
Instructions: Please use the following information to create a short presentation as if you’re an ambassador of your hometown, you may use all or some of the questions or you may also create an entirely unique presentation to wow the judges. Have fun and be creative! During your interview, you will be expected to conduct this presentation in front of the panel of interviewers.
Please note you do not need to fill out this information and submit it. A projector and computer are not provided, but you may bring your own. Props are allowed. A very limited set up time is allowed.
Hello! My name is_____________________________.
I am from_____________________________.
I love my hometown because_____________________________.
What I would miss most about my hometown is_____________________________.
I am most proud of the following accomplishment_____________________________.
One unique thing about my hometown is_____________________________.
If I were an ambassador, I would use the skills I have learned to help better my town by doing this_____________________________.
In 5 years, I might tell people in my hometown that my greatest accomplishment is this_____________________________.
I understand that serving as a Student Ambassador requires a commitment of one year. I further understand that I will be required to sign the Student Ambassador Code of Conduct (see the Code of Conduct under the Student Ambassador Links section on the upper right hand corner of this site), attend weekly meetings, training sessions, and college related activities throughout the year. Current mandatory dates, which are in addition to the 10 points needed each semester are, dates are as follows (dates subject to change):
- Weekly Meetings on Wednesdays from 12-1 p.m. Webb Hall 103
- Informational meeting – 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sept. 10, LRC Computer Lab Room 101, (noon to 1 p.m. TBA)
- Training – 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 16, Webb Hall 081
- Training – 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 25, LRC Computer Lab
- Career Day – 7:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Oct. 7, on campus.
- Laker Visit Day – 7:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Oct. 24, on campus and another date TBA
- 2 Spring Laker Visit Days – TBA
- Student Recognition Banquet –spring, TBA
- Student vs. Faculty Softball Game – sponsored by the Ambassadors - spring, TBA
- Assistance with one or more of the following: Campus Visit Days, Principals, Deans and Counselors meeting (spring), Foundation event (various times), College Day at Kluthe (spring), WYSE (spring), other event approved by the advisor.