Online @ LLC > Tutorials > Flash Drives > Safely removing a flash drive
Transferring Files from Floppy Disk to USB Drive
Computers in the labs will USB connections on the front of the computer tower, but will not have floppy disk drives. If you need to transfer files from a floppy disk to a flash drive, please go the Center for Technology and Professional Development or the Library Resource Desk. There will be computer stations in those locations that do have floppy drives and USB connections. Please follow the instructions below for copying files from a floppy drive to USB flash drive.
- Insert the floppy disk in floppy drive and insert the USB flash drive in the USB port.
- Double click on My Computer (Figure 1) on the desktop.
- In the My Computer Window, double-click the floppy disk icon to open.
- In the floppy disk drive window, go to Edit > Select All (Figure 2 ). (alternatively you can also use the keyboard shortcut ctrl + A or click and drag over the files and folder you want to select)
- In the floppy disk drive window with the files and folders selected, go to Edit > Copy (Figure 3).
- Select the Up icon (Figure 4) on floppy disk drive window to go back to the My Computer window.
- In the My Computer window, double click Removable disk icon to open.
- In the Removable disk window, go to Edit > Paste (Figure 5).
- The copy window (Figure 6) should appear. Wait for the files to copy over to the flash drive. The copying window will disappear when finished and the files will appear in Removable disk window.