Online @ LLC > Tutorials > Word > Drawing tool
Using the Drawing tool in Word XP
Drawing objects in Word XP is a little different than in previous versions of Word. This tutorial is designed to help you understand how to use the new features of the Drawing Canvas.
- To view the the Drawing Toolbar go to ViewToolbars > Drawing.
- On the bottom of the Word screen the Drawing Toolbar will appear.
- For this tutorial, we will create a basic shape. On the Drawing Toolbar go to AutoShapes > Basic Shapes > Sun.
- The Drawing Canvas will appear and the mouse will turn into a crosshairs. Draw your object. Once the shape is drawn, the Fill, Line color, and other effects can be applied to it.
- To change the shape of the object, click on the yellow diamond and click, hold, and drag it to the center of the object.
- The size of the Drawing Canvas can be expanded or made to fit the object. To do this, click on the dark lines around the edges of the Drawing Canvas. The mouse pointer will change to a T . You can now move the edge of the Drawing Canvas to the size you want.
- Now we are ready to add colors and effects to the object. Select the object and go to to the Drawing Toolbar to the Fill button (Paintbucket). To make the object the color that is already selected, click on the paintbucket. To access more options, click the down pointing arrow next the paint bucket. A pop-up menu will appear (see diagram below). The menu can become a floating menu by holding the mouse over the title bar until the arrow becomes a four-cornered arrow. Click, hold, and drag until the menu becomes a floating menu. The same can be done with the Line Color and the Font Color menus.
- Word XP offers many choices for wrapping words around the an object. Click the button to the far right to access the text wrapping options. For this example, choose Square. Notice that the text wraping menu can become a floating menu.
- 3-D and Shadow styles can be added to the object. Click the 3-D button or the Shadow button the Drawing Toolbar and choose a style. Effects can be added to the 3-D/Shadow style by opening the 3-D/Shadow Settings floating menu.
- Once you are satisfied with the object, save your document.
- If you do not like having the Drawing Canvas when you draw an object, click on Tools > Options. Once the dialog box appears, click the General Tab. Make sure the box next to "Automatically create drawing canvas when inserting AutoShapes" is unchecked. Click OK.