Online Course Tutorial
The mail tool within each course will allow you to send and receive messages to and from your instructor and other students in the course. As long as you have Internet access and access to this Blackboard course site, you will be able to send and receive email messages.
Each user has four default folders:
- Inbox: contains all received messages
- Sent Mail: contains all sent messages
- Drafts: contains all unsent messages
- Deleted Mail: contains all deleted messages
More folders can be created to organize your mail and the display options can be used to view all messages or just unread messages. Messages can be marked as read or unread by selecting the box next to the message and clicking Read or Unread buttons above the message list. Messages can also be sorted by author or date.
A printable view can be created by clicking Create Printable View button. The messages will display in a new window. Click Print to print or Save to File to save messages as a text file.
Click on a message you wish to read. The message will display in a new window. Use the previous and next text links to navigate the next message.
- Messages with attachments will display a paper clip icon. Open the message and click View Attachments.
- The Select Attachments to Save screen will appear. Select the box next to the attachment and click Save to Folder.
- The Browse for Location screen will appear. The file can be saved in My Files or on your computer. Select the desired option and click OK.
Sending a Message
- Click the Create Message button. The Create Message window appears.
- Click the Browse for Recipients button.
- The Select Message Recipients screen will appear. The message can be sent to groups or Individuals by clicking the checkbox in the To column next to a group or individual.
- Click Save to return to the mail message. Complete the subject line, and type the message in the text box. Blank subjects or messages are not allowed.
- The message can be previewed or saved as a draft before sending. When ready to send the message click Send.
The message window will disappear and a message, “Your message was sent successfully”, will display yellow area above the folder display in message list.
Adding Attachments to Messages
- Create a new message.
- In the Create Message screen click Add Attachments.
- The Get Files screen will appear. Click My Computer.
- The Open dialog box will appear. Locate the file on your computer and click Open. A progress bar will display as the file is uploaded.
- Once uploaded, the screen will refresh with the attachment displayed under the Add Attachments button. Repeat the process for each attachment if necessary. Send message when done.