Online Course Tutorial
What is the Assignments Tool?
The Assignment tool enables students to create or attach their assignments to the assignments tool in an organized manner. Instructors will view submissions and grade them. Instructors will then post scores and comments directly in Blackboard. Students can access their personal point totals by clicking the graded tab on the assignment page or clicking My Grades under student tools menu. Some instructors may require students to create homework in a word processing document before uploading assignments to the assignments tool. Be sure to save the files in a compatible format.
Assignments can be accessed from Course Tools menu on the left of Blackboard screen or from a learning module or folder located on the course homepage. The assignment page will display four tabs for the different viewing options.
- Inbox: displays assignments ready to be submitted or submissions returned to you for further editing.
- Submitted: displays assignments you have submitted and any assignments you have missed
- Graded: displays assignments your instructor has graded
- Published: displays submissions the instructor has published to groups within the course or to all members in the course.
How to Submit Assignment
- Click on Assignments on the course tools menu.
- The Assignment screen will display with a list of available assignments. The due date will display under the assignment title. Be sure to submit the assignment before the due date and time. Click on the assignment title to view the submission page.
- The submission page will display. At the top of the submission page the due date and grading criteria will display along with the status of the assignment. Any instructions and assignments files will display next. To download the attached files click on file title. The download file dialog box will prompt to download the file. Click Save and save the file on a local disk.
- Assignments can be typed in the text box and formatted with the HTML Creator if your instructor allows this type of submission. Attachments can be added to the submission page as well. If you are submitting attachments, be sure the file is saved in the correct format.
- To add an attachment, click Add Attachments under the submission text box.
- The Get Files dialog box will appear. Click My Computer to access files on your computer. Locate the file and click open. A progress bar will display as the file is uploaded to the submission page. Once uploaded, the file will display under the submission text box.
- If you need to upload more files, repeat the steps 5 and 6. Comments can also be added in the Comments text box.
- Click Submit when ready. A dialog box will appear with the message "Are you sure you want to submit this assignment?". Click OK.
- A confirmation page will display stated that you have submitted the assignment. Click OK.
- The screen will return to the Inbox. Click the Submitted tab to view your submissions.
- To view graded assignments click the Graded tab. The assignment title will display with the grade below. Click the action link next to the assignment title to view your submission along with any comments the instructor has posted. Depending on how the assignment permissions were configured, you may be able to take the assignment back and make revisions and re-upload the assignment.
Tip: If no assignments are available, a message will appear stating "There are currently no assignments in your inbox".
Tip: If you see a red x in the Get Files Window, it is mostly likely that you do not have Java installed or the incorrect version of Java is installed on the computer. Go to the WebCT Tune-up page to determine what version of Java you need.