Online Course Tutorial
Assessments (Formally Quizzes)
Assessments are where you will complete exams and quizzes. Most assessments will have a time limit for each quiz and/or exam, so make sure you are aware of how much time you have before you start the quiz or test. Once a student accesses a quiz the clock starts and continues counting down until the student submits the assessment for grading. Once the time runs out, the student will no longer be able to save new answers and must submit the assessment for grading.
Important! You must disable or change your settings on any pop-up blocker software on your computer before beginning a quiz. (See how to configure pop-ups)
Steps to Complete an Assessment
- Click on Assessments on the course tools menu.
- You will see a list of quizzes that have been released for the course. Please note the start and end date.
- Click to the title of the quiz you are supposed to take.
- The screen for the assessment will show:
- Description: Instructors may use the description to give further instructions.
- Available starting and available until: This will show start and end date for the assessment. Once the end date and time as passed the assessment cannot be taken.
- Duration: This will show how many minutes or hours are allowed to take the assessment
- Question delivery: Questions can be delivered all at once or one question at time
- Attempts allowed: Some instructors may allow students to take an assessment more than once.
- Attempts completed: number of attempts of the assessment the student has already taken
- Grade: Will display student’s grade out total possible points for the assessment.
- When you are ready to begin the assessment, click the Begin Assessment button.
- Note the time is displayed in the upper right-hand corner of the assessment window.
- For each question, pick a correct answer by clicking the option button to the left of the answer you believe is correct. At the end of each question click the Save Answer button. Blackboard will record the question status change as you select and save your answers. When you have finished with a quiz you can also click the Save All button.
- When you have answered all questions be sure to click the Finish button.
- If you have not saved answers, you should be prompted to go back and answer the questions. If you need to save answers or answer any questions, click the Cancel button to return to the quiz and answer the questions. Otherwise, click OK to continue to submit the quiz.
- Once the quiz is successfully submitted the screen will display a green checkmark with a yellow background with the message, “You have successfully submitted your quiz” along with the date and time the assessment was submitted.
- If allowed to review your attempt, click View Attempt to see how well you did on the assessment.