Lake Land College offers a variety of community courses this September
The Lake Land College office of Community and Professional Programs will offer community courses throughout the month of September. Find a new hobby, brush up on a skill and have some fun with Lake Land College!
The course details and information are as follows:
• Get a professional voice evaluation! This fun, one-on-one, video chat class will give you a start in professional voice acting. An Introduction to Voiceovers, CE-ENRC170-30778 is an online 90-minute class by Appointment only. The instructor is a professional voice actor from the voice acting training company Voices For All. Call 217-234-5219 to make your appointment. Appointments available from Sept. 3- Dec. 11 and the cost is $45.
• Want to trace your family history but don’t know where to start? Genealogy Basics is the class for you! Genealogy Basics, CNC-018-23089, is an online course that meets Sept. 3 – Oct. 3. Instructor Barbara George will cover topics on charts and forms, how to acquire information from genealogical and surname sites and give you search engine tips. The cost of the course is $45.
• Would you like to be more proficient in Microsoft Word 2010? Word 2010 Made Simple, CNC-030-30784, will meet Fri. Sept. 6 - Sept. 27 from 5-7 p.m. in Webb Hall, room 106. Instructor Wrobria Roberts will teach you how to do basic formatting, copy and paste, insert images, check for spelling and grammar errors and to save and print. The cost of the class is $59 and includes a flash drive to save your work.
• Want to learn about Facebook, Linked In, YouTube, Pinterest and Twitter? Learn the basics of creating a profile, uploading a picture, connecting with friends and building your network. Social Networking-Beginners, CE-COMP145-30780, will meet Sat. Sept. 7 from 10 a.m to noon in Effingham at the Kluthe Center in room 219. Instructor Christal Finch will teach you how to share videos, photos and links as well as comment on the status of your friends. The cost of the class is $29 and includes a flash drive.
• Discover new research tools for vital records like birth, adoption, marriage, death, census, tax and land records, maps, county histories and more! Specific Genealogical Information, CNC-0180-23090 meets online from Sept. 10 - Oct. 10 with instructor Barbara George. The cost of the course is $45.
• Do you know what HDR, RAW, ISO and white balance are? Learn about these and much more in All About Digital Photography, CNC-019-16209, which will meet Sept. 3 – Oct. 8 in Neal Hall, room 113 from 6:30-9:30 p.m. A second session of the class, CNC-0019-16210, will meet Sept. 5 – Oct. 10 in Effingham at the Kluthe Center in room 201 from 6:30-9:30 p.m. Photographer Joe Ethridge will teach you about lighting, exposure, focusing metering, image quality, composition, flash photography and how to get the most from your digital camera. The cost of the course is $110. Please bring your camera.
• Want a class with NO TESTS? That’s right no tests. Computer Connections I, CNC-030-30781 will meet Sept. 7 – 28 from 5-7 p.m. in Webb Hall, room 106. Instructor Wrobria Roberts will teach you to learn how to use a computer in a relaxed environment. Learn to copy and paste, navigate, manage and create files and folders, and save your work on a flash drive. The cost of the class is $59 and includes the flash drive.
• Learn how to preserve a cemetery, simple marker repair, laws and support groups. Basic Cemetery Restoration, CE-ENRC188-30820, will meet Sept. 7 from 9 a.m. - 3 p.m. in Webb Hall, room 105. John Heider, professional restoration specialist, will explain cemetery care, marker preservation and restoration. The morning will be spent in the class room and the afternoon will be a hands-on outdoor session. Enrollment is limited so register early. The cost of the course is $40.
• Dance to the music of the 20s, 60s and today. Dance Swing for Beginners, CE-RECR180-30762, meets Sept. 8 – 29 from 2:10 -3 p.m. in Webb Hall, room 081. CE-RECR180-30761 will meet Sept. 8 – Oct. 29 from 4:10 – 5 p. m. in Effingham at St. Anthony Hospital Auditorium. Cheryl and Scott Sweet will teach you dancing fundamentals dance etiquette No partner needed but is suggested. The cost is $36.
• Passionate, slow, smooth and sophisticated could be nothing but a Tango! Tango for Beginners, CE-RECR197-30759, will meet Sept. 8 – 29 from 1:10 – 2 p.m. in Webb Hall, room 081. CE-RECR197-30760 will meet Sept. 8 - 29 from 5:10-6 p.m. in Effingham at St. Anthony Hospital Auditorium. Let the Sweets teach you to dance like you see on the big screen! No partner needed but is suggested. The cost is $36.
• Love to dance or want to learn to dance? Private Group Lessons, CE-RECR186-30764, will give you one hour of lessons with Cheryl and Scott Sweet, FROM Sept. 8 - Dec. 8 Learn a specific dance or learn with a group like a wedding party. There is a limit of eight people. One person in the group must register and be responsible for payment. Call 217-234-5219 for registration information and to schedule and appointment. The cost is $95.
• Like Beer? Want to make your own? Then Home Brewing 101 is perfect for you. CNC-015-23156 will meet Wednesdays Sept. 11, 18, 25, and Oct. 2nd from 6-7p.m. in West Building, room 119. In addition, class will meet Oct. 9 from 6-9 p.m., which is a three-hour home brewing demonstration, with instructor Glen Forneris showing you the process. The last class will meet on Oct. 30 from 6-7 p.m. to try the final product. Participants must be 21 years of age or older. The cost of the class is $60.
• No grades, no wrong answers, just creative writing fun! Creative Writing Crawl, CE-WRIT117-30779, will meet on Saturdays from Sept. 21- Oct. 12 from 9 – 10 a.m. Instructor Rebecca Miller will help you discover and develop your writing style and unique voice. The first class will meet at the Effingham Kluthe Center, and each additional class meeting will take place at various locations in Effingham County to engage in exciting writing activities. The cost of the class is $30. Please bring a notebook, pencils and a small three-ring binder or folder.
• Does the Affordable Care Act have you puzzled? Join instructor Joni Castleman at one of the following locations to learn how provisions of the Affordable Care Act can benefit you! Topics include the individual mandate, guarantee issue and tax subsidies that may help pay a portion of your premium. This is a free class. So sign up today and become better informed about the Affordable Care Act.
o CE-HLTH151-30818 will meet Sept. 10 from 2:30-3:30 p.m. in Charleston at the LifeSpan Center on Loxa Road.
o CE-HLTH151-30817 will meet Sept. 10 from 5:30-6:30 p.m. in Neal Hall, room 115
o CE-HLTH151-30819 will meet Sept. 17 from 6-7 p.m. in Effingham at the Kluthe Center, room 220.
• Add some pizazz to your scrapbook or photo album! Learn the art of hand lettering. Calligraphy, CNC-014-30758; will meet on Thursdays from Sept. 12 – Oct. 10 from 6 – 7:30 p.m. in Neal Hall, room 116. The class will be taught by Brett Bensley. You will learn the basics of this art to enable you to create your own projects at home using the pen techniques and brush work. The cost of the class is $52.50 and includes a Calligraphy pen.
• Tired of riding the roller coaster of love? Then How to Find & Choose Your Ideal Mate, CE-ENRC189-31109, is the class for you. The class will meet Sept. 17- 23 from 7 – 9 p.m. online. Instructor Kevin Darne will help you identify the three basic types of cheaters, how to avoid six common mistakes made with online dating, and apply a system to create a strategy of find your ideal mate. This is a live, interactive online class. The textbook required for class is My Cat Won’t Bark (A Relationship Epiphany), ISBN-13:978-1468104721: May 2012 Amazon. The cost of the course is $30.
• Forever change how you view online dating and choosing your relationships! How to Avoid Online Dating Scams, CE-ENRCH190-30851, will meet online Sept. 18 – 25 from 7-9 p.m. Instructor Kevin Darne will show you how to spot a fake profile, common mistakes made with online dating, pitfalls of long-distance relationships, and how to escape the friend zone. This is a live interactive online class. The book required for class is My Cat Won’t Bark (A Relationship Epiphany), ISBN-13:978-1468104721: May 2012 Amazon. The cost of the course is $30.
• Do you know where and how to check the brake fluid, transmission fluid, oil or tire pressure? Under the Hood & Around, CE-ENRC186-30775, meets Sept. 30 from 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. in the Vocational-Technology Building, room 114. Instructor Brian Malden will teach you a few things about car maintenance that will save you money and help keep you safer on the road. This is a free class.
• Pamper yourself with an afternoon of tranquility! Health Retreat and Spa Day with Dr. Nancy Selvidge with include a facial, reflexology session and health consultations. Learn natural approaches to health that rejuvenate your body. CE-HLTH147-30883 will meet Sept. 28 from 1 – 3 p.m. in Sullivan at the tranquil twenty-two acre Coyote Cabins Retreat. View pictures on www.coyotecabins.com
• Are you a caregiver juggling kids, work and parents? Maybe you are considering moving your parents to make their lives and yours easier? This course will offer contact information for local resources, discuss transition concerns, provide options and decision making exercises to determine the best possible action for your circumstances. The instructor is Sheila Greuel. CE-HLTH152-31696 will meet Tuesdays Sept. 10 – 17 from 7 – 9 p.m. in Neal Hall, room 115. The cost is $30.
• All ed2go classes will run Sept. 18- Nov. 8. Sign up for exciting classes like:
• Creating Web Pages
• Mac, IPhone, IPad programming
• Quick books 2012
• Spanish for Medical Professionals
• Teaching smarter-Smart Boards
• Photoshop Elements 10
• GRE Preparation part I
• GRE Preparation Part 2
• Many more online classes to choose from
• Check them out on our website
For more information, contact the Office of Community and Professional Programs, at 217-234-5219
To register online using a VISA/MC/Discover, go to www.lakeland college.edu/learn and choose the course number desired. To register by phone, call Admissions and Records at 217-234-5434. You will be sent a statement for payment. The drop date for a refund is five business days prior to the start of the class.
Office: Bookstore - 12
Director of Communications and Creative Services
Office: Bookstore - 11
Office: Bookstore - 12
Assistant to the Director of Communications and Creative Services
Office: Bookstore - 12
Office: Bookstore - 12
Lake Land College offers a variety of community courses this December
Lake Land College hosts One Stop Registration Open Houses throughout district for spring registration
Renowned genetics educator to speak at Lake Land College
Lake Land College receives National Safety Council's Defensive Driving Course Trend Setter Award
Lake Land College invites vendors, presenters and demonstrators to participate in 7th annual Energy Innovation Conference
Lake Land College’s Adult Ed Center offer Family Literacy Program
Lake Land College invites you to an Italian getaway
City of Effingham donates squad car to Lake Land College Criminal Justice Program
Lake Land College Community Choir to perform at Celebrate Downtown Mattoon festivities
Lake Land College Broadcasting Club donates 1100 pounds of food
Lake Land College brings title home from annual King of the College race
Easton Corbin to perform for local FFA Chapters at Lake Land College
Lake Land College’s Satterwhite wins 2013 IBEA Distinguished Service Award
Lake Land College opens EIU Service Center on Mattoon campus
Easton Corbin holds Illinois FFA Forum at Lake Land College