Lake Land College Lake Land College offers a variety of community courses this July
The Lake Land College Office of Community and Professional Programs will offer several community courses throughout the month of July. Find a new hobby, brush up on a skill and have some fun with Lake Land College!
The course details and information are as follows:
- Traveling to a Spanish speaking country? Learn the basics of the language, cultural differences, and safety travel tips. The class will end with a fiesta full of food and music and practicing what you have learned. Class CE-ENRC191-31571 will meet with instructor Jennifer Bryant on Saturday, July 27 from 8:30-10:30 a.m. at the LifeSpan Center on Loxa Road in Mattoon. The cost is $12.
- Use everyday paper in different colors, to weave art pieces that you can frame. Explore different patterns as well as finishing and framing in Weaving with Paper- Basic, CE-CRFT145-29607. Instructor Kathy Bryant will show you step by step how to create your master piece. Class meets July 8 from 3 p.m. – 5 p.m. in Mattoon at the Workforce Development Center. The cost is $21.
- Do you have a Passion for poetry? Explore different styles with instructor Jennifer Bryant. Read poems by classical poets, including Frost, Wordsworth, Milton, Keats and Shakespeare. Bring a notebook and pen to CE-WRIT115-29468, which meets Monday July 8 – July 22 from 7 p.m. – 8p.m. in Effingham at the Kluthe center. The cost is $30.
- You can use vellum, metallic, rice, and handmade papers to create exquisite art in class CE-CRFT147-29608, Weaving with Specialty Papers. Come explore the possibilities with instructor Kathy Bryant on Wednesday July 10 from 3 p.m. – 5 p.m. in Mattoon at the Workforce Development Center. The cost is $25.
- Create two sun- catchers to take home in Stained Glass – Copper Foil, CNC-014-29513. Instructor Jody Johnson will teach you how to cut glass, apply copper foil, and use solder and a soldering iron. Class will meet on Tuesdays from July 16- July 30 from 6 p.m. – 9 p.m. in Charleston. The cost is $105.
- Pamper yourself! Become a Kitchen Beautician and learn recipes for facials, scrubs, and more, all made with all natural ingredients you can buy at the grocery store. De-stress and treat yourself to snacks, soft music and aromatherapy. Try each natural DIY treatment and leave feeling refreshed. Wear comfortable clothing and bring a towel. The instructor is Jennifer Bryant and the cost is $35. Class CE-HLTH1550-29761 will meet Friday July 19 from 5 – 8 p.m. in Effingham at Centenary United Methodist Church
- Experienced Lincolnland Hospice staff will cover all aspects of caring for the terminally ill. The role of the hospice volunteer will be explored. Discover the physical, emotional, psychosocial, and spiritual end-of-life care issues. Upon completion, you will be eligible to become a Lincolnland Hospice volunteer. Registration is required for participation and this course is open to those ages 18 and above. The instructor is Jennifer Kirk and there is no charge for these classes.
1. CE-ENRC108-29476 will meet Tuesday July 2 from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. in Sullivan at Elizabeth Titus Memorial Library.
2. CE-ENRC108-29478 will meet Tuesday July 9 from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. in Shelbyville at Shelbyville Public Library.
3. CE-ENRC108-29498 will meet Tuesday July 16 from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. in Charleston at the Life Span Center.
Classes for YOUth for the month of July include:
- Did you ever want to pickup some paper and scissors and let your fingers have their way? In CE-CRFT148-29609, Paper Weaving Crazy & Wiggly, you can do just that! Beautiful, fun and unpredictable patterns can be created and framed with the frame of your choosing. Bring scissors. The instructor is Kathy Bryant and the class is for children ages 7-14. It will meet Thursday July 11 from 3 -5 p.m. at the Workforce Development Center in Mattoon. The cost is $15.
- Take a walk through your body with Instructor James Filipiak. Learn how we see, hear, and smell. The class will emphasize making healthy choices to keep your organs happy. The class is open to children ages 9-15. CE-SCIE177-29194 will meet Thursday July 11 from 8 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. in Neal Hall, room 109 on Lake Land College campus. The cost is $30.
- Share cookie creatures, fruit cups, apples and dip while sitting at your theme decorated table with friends. Desserts that Rock is for ages 4-8 and will meet with instructor Diane Anderson on Monday and Tuesday July 22 and July 23 from 1:30 p.m. - 3:30 p.m. in at the LifeSpan Center on Loxa Road in Mattoon. The course number is CE-FOOD130-29149 and the cost is $26.
- Are you 4- 8 years old and want to learn to make your own snacks? Join instructor Diane Anderson on Wednesday and Thursday July 24 and 25 from 1:30 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. at the LifeSpan Center on Loxa Road in Mattoon. Students will also make a 3-D placemat. You will also make and enjoy ham roll-ups, mini pizza, and applesauce with cinnamon or cream cheese and fruit on a cracker and much more. The course number is CE-FOOD129-29148. The cost is $26.
- Cedric Brown’s Basketball Academy: Improve your game skills in this four-day class. Each session will be filled with skill-based instruction featuring: dribbling, passing, shooting, footwork, defensive principles and competitive games. Bring your own lunch; drinks will be provided. There will also be a camp bank so parents can pre-purchase concessions sold during camp. This is open for children from ages 8-18
1. CE-SPRT139-29518 will meet Monday – Thursday July 15-18 from 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. in the Field House at Lake Land College. Cost is $160.
2. CE-SPRT139-29159 will meet Monday – Thursday July 22 – 25 from 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. in the Field House at Lake Land College. Cost is $160.
If you can’t make one of the four-day camps, you can register for one day-session.
For more information, contact the Office of Community and Professional Programs, at 217-234-5219. To register online using a VISA/MC/ Discover, go to www.lakelandcollege.edu/learn and choose the course number desired. To register by phone, call Admissions and Records at 217-234-5434. You will be sent a statement for payment. The drop date for a refund is five business days prior to the start of the class.
Office: Bookstore - 12
Director of Communications and Creative Services
Office: Bookstore - 11
Office: Bookstore - 12
Assistant to the Director of Communications and Creative Services
Office: Bookstore - 12
Office: Bookstore - 12
Lake Land College offers a variety of community courses this December
Lake Land College hosts One Stop Registration Open Houses throughout district for spring registration
Renowned genetics educator to speak at Lake Land College
Lake Land College receives National Safety Council's Defensive Driving Course Trend Setter Award
Lake Land College invites vendors, presenters and demonstrators to participate in 7th annual Energy Innovation Conference
Lake Land College’s Adult Ed Center offer Family Literacy Program
Lake Land College invites you to an Italian getaway
City of Effingham donates squad car to Lake Land College Criminal Justice Program
Lake Land College Community Choir to perform at Celebrate Downtown Mattoon festivities
Lake Land College Broadcasting Club donates 1100 pounds of food
Lake Land College brings title home from annual King of the College race
Easton Corbin to perform for local FFA Chapters at Lake Land College
Lake Land College’s Satterwhite wins 2013 IBEA Distinguished Service Award
Lake Land College opens EIU Service Center on Mattoon campus
Easton Corbin holds Illinois FFA Forum at Lake Land College