Lake Land College celebrates adult students
Did you know the average age of the Lake Land College student is 32? More than that, 42 percent of the Lake Land College student body is comprised of students over the age of 23. Because of that, Lake Land College is honoring its adult students with a week-long celebration, beginning April 15.
The goals of the week are to not only commend current adult students, but to also spread the word about educational opportunities for non-traditional students. New adult students who register for summer or fall classes during one of the events may qualify for one tuition-free class.
“We know that sometimes it’s challenging for adult students to take those first steps to return to school,” said Lisa Shelton, director of new student admissions. “Maybe they didn’t finish high school, never had the opportunity to attend college, or recently lost a job and are finding it difficult to get back into the workforce. Whatever their background is, we want adults to know that Lake Land provides a supportive environment for people just like them.”
The week-long events for current and potential LLC adult students are as follows:
• Monday, April 15: Non-traditional Student of the Year Award recipient announced;
• Tuesday, April 16: LLC Coffee at Joe Sippers in Effingham; 8 – 10 a.m. (for those interested in learning more about LLC);
• Tuesday, April 16: Complimentary Non-traditional Student Breakfast at the Kluthe Center from 9-11 a.m. (for current LLC adult students);
• Wednesday, April 17: Complimentary Non-traditional Student Breakfast on campus in Webb Hall 081 from 7:30-9:30 a.m. (for current LLC adult students);
• Thursday, April 18: Adult Campus Tour Day (email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 217-234-5215 to schedule a one-hour tour at 9 a.m., 12 p.m., 3:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m.;
• Friday, April 19: GED Awareness Day; and
• Saturday, April 20: College for All Ages at the Cross County Mall in Mattoon from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
New adult students, who register for summer or fall Lake Land College classes at LLC Coffee, Adult Campus Tour Day or College for All Ages, may qualify for one tuition-free class.
New adult students are defined as those students who have not attended Lake Land College during the past three years or did not recently graduate from high school and immediately attend college. The tuition waiver is good for one college credit class up to three hours and is for in-district residents. Students must pay their own fees.
For more information about Adult Week or to register for a Campus Tour, contact Kelly Allee, director of Communications and Creative Services at email@example.com or call (217) 234-5215.