Lake Land College offers a variety of community courses this June
May 16, 2014
The Lake Land College office of Community and Professional Programs will offer several community courses throughout the month of August. Find a new hobby, brush up on a skill and have some fun with Lake Land College!
The course details and information are as follows
• Find out what the cupcake craze is all about! Learn all about cupcakes, baking, flavoring and decorations. Cupcake Fun will meet on Tuesdays from June 10 – July 8 in on campus in West Building, room 119 from 3:30 – 5 p.m. Register in CNC-018-33249. Instructor Lisa Claypool has been making and decorating cakes and gourmet cupcakes for seven years. The cost is $65. Claypool will also offer Flowers and Borders with Icing, CNC-018-33256, on Thursdays from June 12 - July 10 from 3:30 – 5 p.m. on campus in West Building, room 119. You will learn to use buttercream, royal icing, and color flow in this hands-on class. The cost is $65.
• Come prepared to get messy and have fun learning how to create the face in large scale from professionally trained artist, Doug Boyce. Practice materials, sketchbook, charcoals and 18x24 professional quality paper for the final project are included. Faces will meet Thursdays from June 12 – June 26, 6:30 - 8 30 p.m. on campus in Neal Hall, room 110. Register in CE-ARTS221-33812. The cost is $60.48. Boyce will also be offering From Trash to Treasure, CE- ARTS222-33824, on Wednesdays from June 11 – June 25, 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. You will discuss the concepts of sustainability and then work on a project using “found” cardboard and paper items. Design a piece of art that all your friends will “ooo” and” ahh” over. The cost is $50.48.
• Instructor Jody Johnson will offer several classes this summer in her home studio. Begin with CNC-014-33030, Stained Glass with Copper Foil, on Mondays from June 9 – June 23 from 6 – 9 p.m. and make two beautiful sun catchers to take home in this beginning stained glass class. Materials are included but loaner tools will be available. The cost is $105. Fused Glass Jewelry, CE-ARTS192-33025, will meet Tuesdays from June 10 – June 17 from 6 – 9 p.m. Different techniques will be used to design and make three pendants of fused glass. All materials except the chain are included. The cost is $90. Last Stained Glass with Came, CE-ARTS220-33029, will meet Thursdays from June 19 – June 26 from 6 – 9 p.m. This is an intermediate stained glass class. You will learn how to use came, how to wrap your glass pieces with came and how to solder pieces together. Materials are included. Make two sun catchers to take home. Loaner tools available for use. The cost is $90.
• Have a special event in your life that involves dancing? Need some one-on-one instruction? Then Dance: Private Group Lessons is for you. The lessons will be taught by Cheryl and Scott Sweet by appointment from June 1 - July 28. One person from the group (limit of 8 people) must register and be responsible for payment. The cost of the class is $95 per hour.
• Photographer Joe Ethridge teaches you about lighting, exposure, focusing, metering, white balance and more! Learn how to get the most from your digital camera. All About Digital Photography, CNC-019-33010, will meet on Tuesdays from June 10 - July 15 from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. on campus in Neal Hall, room 113. The cost is $110. A second class, CNC-019-33011, will be offered at the Effingham Kluthe Center, room 105 on Thursdays from June 12 – July 17 from 6:30 – 9:30 p.m.
• Explore the Biblical perspective of music! Listen to various styles of Christian music. Praise bands, musicians and singers are encouraged. Instructor Calvin Jones brings his experience of being a member of the All City Band in Chicago, the EIU marching band and other ensembles. The Heart of Worship meets on Mondays from June 23 – July 7 from 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. on campus in the Luther Student Center Theater. There will be a concert on the last day of class. The cost $45.48 The Power of Music will also be offered by Jones. Learn how music influences our lives and behavior. Discover the secret to helping your child practice with purpose! CE-MUSI 110-33704 meets Mondays from June 9 – June 16 from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. in the Luther Student Center Theater. The cost is $39.21.
• Be prepared to have an awesome full body work out in this high impact dance aerobic class with instructor Dessie Boeser. You will also work muscles using small weights and conditioning. Dance Aerobics & Conditioning, CNC-019-33732, meets Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from June 9 – July 24 from 11 a.m. until noon in the LLC Field House, room 117. The cost is $55.
• John Heider professional restoration specialist will explain cemetery care, marker preservation and restoration. Basic Cemetery Restoration, CE-ENRC188-33752, will meet Wednesday June 25 from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. on campus in Webb Hall, room 081. The cost is $45.
For more information or for an enrollment form, contact the Office of Community and Professional Programs at 217-234-5219. To register online using a VISA/MC/Discover, go to www.lakeland.cc.il.us/learn. Choose the course number desired. To register by phone for courses which begin with CE, call Admissions and Records at 217-234-5434.You will be sent a statement for payment. The drop date for a refund is five business days prior to the start of the class do not include Fridays in the summer.
Send this article to a friend